Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Revelation

I had a revelation about myself today. But first some background. I have always loved Christmas, but have found myself not being very excited the last couple of years. I have no motivation to put up and decorate the tree. I'm not interested in doing any decorating or baking. I just can't seem to get excited about the season.
Yesterday I was talking with a friend about Christmas growing up and family traditions and it got me thinking. I realized that I miss my family. It sounds so simple, but it didn't occur to me until this morning. What I love about Christmas is spending time with my family, immediate and extended. I'm not one to be sentimental, but I guess it's normal to miss your family during the holidays. The upside is that I get to create new traditions with my family and have great in-laws to celebrate with. :)

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to that. Growing up, I never would have imagined myself eating Mexican food for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas but we do it every year. The fun part about being the grown-up and having your own family is that you get to incorporate the traditions you grew up with into the new ones you become a part of when you get married. Have a fun Christmas with my family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember feeling that way when we first got married. Luckily you have cellphones to keep in closer touch with your family than I was able to keep with mine. Just start your own traditions--mix some of yours and some of Travis's and make some new ones and before long you'll get that old Christmas spirit back again!

    ReplyDelete